Project Strip / Sled
We have been working on a new project since April here. We are calling it Project Strip / Sled. We started out with a 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 with a 12 Valve and an Automatic transmission.
So far we have done some minor work on the transmission by adding a BD valvebody, and also added a BD Torque-Lok. Since this truck is going to be a toy hauler we also added a Jacobs Rambrake exhaust brake.
Before we started making more power, we first installed Auto-Meter Phantom II Gauges. Pyro (0-1600*), Boost (0-100 psi), and an Engine Oil Temp. We also have added a Banks twin ram intake and a good ole' fashioned BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter). Then we moved on to making some horsepower. This truck started out at 180 horsepower at the flywheel. (Rated by Cummins) We started by removing the fuel plate and slid the AFC full forward. We then adjusted the startwheel forward to allow some extra fuel before boost for that blast of black smoke that shows everyone you mean buisness. Then we added an adjustable boost elbow bringing the boost from a boring 18 psi to a butt puckering 31 psi. Then to get that nice little turbo whistle, the silencer ring was removed from the inlet of the turbo. The last thing that was done was the restrictive muffler was removed for a much more free flowing straight pipe.
The truck was dynoed on David Dunbar's dyno at the most recent Moparfest at Atlanta Dragway.
I am happy to say that all we have spent so far on engine upgrades were roughly $500. The dyno showed that all our efforts were not in vain. We made 280 rear wheel horsepower and 640 rear wheel torque. Not too shabby. Keep checking back for more updates on this project.